I decided to do an actual Friday Five today. I haven't done any of these for a while, but I figured I'd do one today.
1. What is your lineage? Where are your ancestors from? I'm mostly German, about half. And there's a good bit of Russian. There's bits of Irish, Scotch, Swiss, and English too.
2. Of those countries, which would you most like to visit? I've actually been lucky enough to visit Europe, and we went to one of the cities that some of my dad's ancestors are from. I woule love to go to Scotland. My Nanny traced our Scottish ancestors back to the McAlister clan in the 1600's. I would love to be able to go there and continue searching backwards.
3. Which would you least like to visit? Why? Right now, Russia. It's just too politically unstable. I think it would be amazing to visit, but just not now. Maybe some years from now when it calms down.
4. Do you do anything during the year to celebrate or recognize your heritage? Nothing specific, the only thing that comes close is my beginning attempts to continue and expand my Nanny's geneology. I've been trying to expand it to the other three branches of my ancestors. It's quite a beginning effort on my part, but I'm working on it.
5. Who were the first ancestors to move to your present country (parents, grandparents, etc)? I know the German ones came over in the 1800's, I recently discovered that they may have come through Ellis Island. We're not sure yet, but it's a good possibility. The Russian ones were late 1800's or early 1900's I don't remember off the top of my head.
OK, I'm really glad I decided to do the Friday Five today! This is a subject that I thoroughly enjoy; I could talk about my ancestors and the stories that I know for hours!
And I'm hearing birds chirping which means I should really go to bed!